Tuesday, May 15, 2007

WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY - BIONIC WOMAN


Michelle Ryan (best known in the UK for her role in Eastenders as Zoe Slater, whether people watched the show or not given the media coverage of soaps we have in this country) is set to star in The Bionic Woman.

I was a huge fan of The (relatively inexpensive now) Six Million Dollar Man when I was a wee lad. The idea of someone being re-built into basically a superhero with all bionic parts was just way too cool. That and of course the show starred my hero back then, Lee Majors who would later go on to star in another favorite show from my childhood, The Fall Guy, as Colt Seavers. I used to have a Steve Austin doll, complete with red tracksuit, white pumps, bionic eye and bionic arm with removable skin. I also remember these strange bionic stickers you could get that you stuck on your skin to make it look like you had bionic working parts under your skin (by some enormous leap of the imagination no doubt). Whether they were a cash in or not (most likely), I cannot recall, but I remember that once they had been worn through I decided to draw bionic parts on my arms and legs with felt tip pens. What a mess!

So I'm wondering if that's Oscar Goldman that's the 'landlord' in that clip. Love the bionic eye focus (they appear to have taken a lot of bionic enhancements from Steve Austin and given them to Jaime Sommers, no doubt she still has the bionic ear).

Here's another clip from the show where Jaimie wakes up in the hospital / facility, and isn't too happy. Brilliant stuff. I love how she finds out what her bionic arm can do.

Katee Sackoff (from Battlestar Galactica) can also be seen in these clips and the show is produced by David Eick who is one part of the team that brought back Battlestar Galactica. So here's hoping that they have an equal success as they did with the marvelously reinvented Battlestar Galactica. Here's also a word from the show's producer, David Eick (who is also producing the tv show "Them"... a show about a sleeper cell of aliens living on Earth... I hope people don't confuse David Eick for David Ike!).


UPDATE: Thanks to PaulHD for reminding me. The stickers I spoke of earlier in this post, they were from Prog 2 of 2000AD! Thanks Paul. I can really clearly remember these now. I even wore the bionic watch! Thankfully, 2000AD have a catalog of all the free gifts they've done so here's what I was on about.

7 comments:

paulhd said...

Might the bionic stickers have come from prog 2 of 2000ad? They were to tie in with the Six Million Dollar Man 'inspired' M.A.C.H.1.
I'll watch anything with Katee Sackof in it - and the clips are pretty nifty.

I. N. J. Culbard said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. You're absolutely right of course... my imagination as a child at the time painted a slightly more impressive picture in my minds eye so I couldn't really be sure what they looked like even (I'm not one for trusting my memory on the finer details) but as soon as I saw the stickers over at the 2000AD site, boom, memories started flooding back. How wonderful!

And yes, quite like the look of the new show already. Can't wait to see it.

Andrew Glazebrook said...

I remember taking my arm hairs off with these stickers as a kid, don't think I ever wore the one in the centre of my forehead though !!

I. N. J. Culbard said...

Okay, I'm picturing a very hairy infant Glazebrook.

Andrew Glazebrook said...

I tried to sue Lucas when I seen the Ewoks that's how hairy I was !!

Anonymous said...

Bloody hell! I wore these stickers when I was 5 to visit my soon-to-be primary school. I haven't thought about them for years. Proust's madeleine has got nowt on a page of biotronic stickers.

I. N. J. Culbard said...

Quite a blast from the past, isn't it?